Monday, November 24, 2008

Annie Lennox Honored at American Music Awards

I will be honest. I have never heard of the American Music Awards till I saw that it was on last night. Doesn't mean anything though since Sundays I am usually watching the simpsons and family guy. I think it was awesome for them to honor Annie Lennox though. She is an amazing artist to say the least.

Annie Lennox picked up the Award Of Merit at the prestigious American Music Awards on Sunday (23 November 2008).

Lennox joins music legends Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, Paul McCartney and Whitney Houston who have all collected the special award in the past.

To celebrate the accolade, Lennox, who has been through grueling physiotherapy over the past months – performed in an emotional show that had the crowd on their feet.

In August 2008 the former Eurythmics singer was diagnosed as suffering from an impinged nerve and has been going through physiotherapy to help her walk again.

Justin Timberlake presented the award to Lennox and had some nice things to say:

"The Award of Merit is being given tonight to an artist who means a lot to me personally. There are certain musicians that other musicians love, and she is one of those special artists, held in the highest regard by her peers”

"l love that she's always been on the cutting edge of fashion, she's always looked so so cool and taught us how to look cool. Then there's her humanitarian work. She's been an activist for just causes all over the world, mostly in silent ways that you've never even heard about. She does this from her heart, motivated purely by love."

The honoured Lennox said:

"It's been an incredible journey - music, my friends, my accompaniment through my life, so much of my life. Much of that was with Dave Stewart, of the Eurythmics and it is very important that I say half of the award goes to Dave also.

"Thank you so much for this. I never thought that I would live to see the day that I could be 53-years-old, standing on the stage and so many people have inspired me in this experience and too many to mention."

List of winners at the 36th annual American Music Awards:

Pop/Rock
Favorite Male Artist - Chris Brown
Favorite Female Artist - Rihanna
Favorite Band, Duo or Group - Daughtry
Favorite Album - Alicia Keys, 'As I Am'

Country
Favorite Male Artist - Brad Paisley
Favorite Female Artist - Taylor Swift
Favorite Band, Duo or Group - Rascal Flatts
Favorite Album - Carrie Underwood, 'Carnival Ride'
Soul/Rhythm and Blues
Favorite Male Artist - Chris Brown
Favorite Female Artist - Rihanna
Favorite Album - Alicia Keys, 'As I Am'

Rap/Hip Hop
Favorite Band, Duo or Group - Three 6 Mafia
Favorite Male Artist - Kanye West
Favorite Album - Kanye West, 'Graduation'

Adult Contemporary
Favorite Artist - Jordin Sparks

Latin Music
Favorite Artist - Enrique Iglesias

Alternative Rock Music
Favorite Artist - Linkin Park

Contemporary Inspirational
Favorite Artist - Third Day

Soundtracks
Favorite Album - 'Alvin and the Chipmunks'

T - Mobile Favourite Breakthrough Artist
Jonas Brothers

No comments: